[meteorite-list] Axel Alex video

From: Robin Whittle <rw_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 14:03:59 +1100

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your appreciative message. I am just linking one from forum
to another, and writing about recent developments to the Columbian
researchers in case they haven't heard of them already.

Some folks called Serge and ssvilponis (presumably Sulev Svilponis in
Estonia) seem to be doing most of the work, together with Stefan Geens.

Jorge I. Zuluaga and Ignacio Ferrin in Columbia:

  http://arxiv.org/abs/1302.5377

give a great attribution to Stefan Geens' work, which I think applies to
others who are on this case:

  In this letter we present one of the first rigorous attempts to
  reconstruct the orbit of the Chelyabinsk Meteoroid. We use here
  the recording of a camera located in the Revolutionary Square in
  Chelyabinsk and one video recorded in the close city of Korkino.
  Both observations are used to triangulate the trajectory of the
  body in the atmosphere. The method used is here was first devised
  by Stefen Geen and published in one his blog, Ogle Earth
  http://goo.gl/vcG3Y in February 16 2013. Further details, updates,
  videos and additional images and plots that those released on
  this letter are available at
http://astronomia.udea.edu.co/chelyabinsk-meteoroid.

  To reconstruct the trajectory in the atmosphere we use the same
  method and images originally used by Stefan Geen and publickly
  available in his blog Ogle Earth. The original blog entry is
  available here http://goo.gl/vcG3Y. It is interesting to stress that
  at using the methods and results published in the Geen?s blog, we are
  recognizing the fundamental contribution that enthusiastic people
  would have in specific scientific achievements. Similar
  cases of interaction between active enthusiastic contributors (a.k.a.
  citizen astronomers) and professionals have been recently seen in
  other areas in astronomy (see e.g. Lintott et al. 2008 and Fischer et
  al. 2012)

  The method cleverly devised by Geen uses the shadow cast by light
  poles at the Revolution Square of Chelyabinsk during the flyby of
  the fireball, to estimate the elevation and azimuth of the
  meteoroid at different stages if its impact with the atmosphere

The Czech researchers:

  http://www.webalice.it/mizar02/articoli/Meteorb.dat

give no such attribution of Stefan Geen's prior work. Perhaps they were
unaware of it, or perhaps the necessarily brief nature of their
communication prevented them from citing sources and more details about
how they reached their conclusions.

I agree about this Korkino Cement Works video by Axle Alex:

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R99zvcrqXo8

being almost directly underneath the most explosive part of the entry
trail. It is still not widely known. There are now 675 views, while 12
or 15 hours ago the number was 603.

  - Robin