[meteorite-list] New Russina Fall looks like Sikhote Shrapnel

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:57:42 -0500

It is a feeding frenzy of fakes on eBay. The shady sellers are
circling the gullible bidders like sharks in bloody water. Eager,
deep-pocketed buyers who refuse to do the least amount of homework
before bidding are a scammer's dream. Honestly, I really don't feel
too sorry for anyone who bids on a specimen like this. I have some
Florida swampland I would like to offer to these buyers. Please have
them contact me.

It's a shame, but eBay won't do anything about it, and spending a few
minutes on Google would reveal that the majority of offerings thus far
have been obviously bogus. A blind man could see that an iron
shrapnel is not a stony chondrite fragment. My 3-yo grandson shows
more discretion.

Besides the obvious fakes, we have opportunists like this one -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300866433143

Notice the shameful marketing gimmicks - and this is coming from
someone who is not afraid to use marketing gimmicks (coupon codes,
freebies, contests, etc). This seller is absolutely shameless, but at
least his offerings appear to be meteorites.

Nantan rare? Really? On what planet?

Similar history to Chelyabinsk? Really? I guess it's similar because
they both came from the asteroid belt at some point, but the
similarities stop there. I can use genealogy to prove that every
person on this List is related to everyone else on this List, if I go
back far enough. Did you folks know that we are all fifth-cousins
with Bob Haag, 15-times removed?

Best regards,

MikeG
--