[meteorite-list] Dark area in front of Cherbakul bolide

From: Vincent . <meteorh3_6_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 20:50:43 +0100

Hello,
I assume, the term "dark mass" isn't adequate. I should have written "dark area" to be correct. Of course it's not a solide body, because it is flooded in the plasma.

I do not know what it is, but this dark area moves for 1/2 seconds in front of the fireball. It shows something similar to a compression wave in front of bolide.
Ok, this could be an effect of saturation pixel, photographic artifact, or others atmospherics effects. Others movies don't show it, but the quality was not very good and/or the cameras were placed differently in relation to the bolide path.
However, this picture, very well informed, has the merit of launching a new debate on Cherbakul bolidel.
This link http://www.cddc.vt.edu/host/atomic/nukeffct/enw77b1.html explains the propagation of atomic shockwaves with interesting pictures of shockwave propagation:

extract:

THE BLAST WAVE
2.32 At a fraction of a second after a nuclear explosion, a high-pressure wave develops and moves outward from the fireball (Fig. 2.32). This is the shock wave or blast wave, mentioned in ? 1.01 and to be considered subsequently in more detail, which is the cause of much destruction accompanying an air burst. The front of the blast wave, i.e., the shock front, travels rapidly away from the fireball, behaving like a moving wall of highly compressed air. After the lapse of 10 seconds, when the fireball of a 1-megaton nuclear weapon has attained its maximum size (5,700 feet across), the shock front is some 3 miles farther ahead. At 50 seconds after the explosion, when the fireball is no longer visible, the blast wave has traveled about 12 miles. It is then moving at about 1 ,150 feet per second, which is slightly faster than the speed of sound at sea level.

Enjoy :-)
Vincent