[meteorite-list] Minor Planet families

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 07:59:48 -0700

To elaborate on Rob's and Larry's comments, a further complication is
that asteroids are placed into classes based on two major criteria:
orbit and composition. The orbital classifications (like Apollo) are
mainly determined by ratios of specific orbital elements. The
compositional classes are primarily determined by spectral
characteristics, and are often the classes of most interest to meteorite
enthusiasts, given the ability to connect many meteorites to specific
asteroid spectral families (e.g. V type asteroids are associated with
HED meteorites). Only in a handful of cases do we have a recovered orbit
for a meteorite fall, allowing for the possibility of recognizing the
parent body's orbital classification as well.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com