[meteorite-list] Chelyabinsk on Ebay

From: jason utas <jasonutas_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 21:13:12 -0800

Hello All,
These auctions' photos show freshly fallen ordinary chondrites. All look good:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/.a./m.html?item=300868095223&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

http://www.ebay.com/sch/ablipih/m.html?item=121072639061&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c307ddc55&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=160979414962&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&_sacat=0&_from=R40&hash=item257b1eefb2&_ssn=malkki2006&_nkw=meteorite+chelyabinsk&_nkwusc=meteorite+chelybinsk&_rdc=1

http://www.ebay.com/sch/gogig/m.html?item=121073304718&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3088048e&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

http://www.ebay.com/sch/alexanches/m.html?item=251236221505&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7ed88241&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chelyabinsk-Russia-meteorite-fragments-/221194267252?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338034aa74

--------------------
--------------------
BUT, BE CAREFUL!
--------------------
--------------------

Bassikounou or Chergach:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chelyabinsk-RUSSIA-2013-Meteor-Event-19-00gr-Very-Rare-Meteorite-Specimen-/321081034359?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac1ebc677

[Generally, I'd stay way from all of this seller's auctions. Much
misrepresented material, nothing anyone can do about it. Their
smaller "Chelyabinsk" pieces look a little funky as well -- I'd assume
Bensour or similar, but do not have any proof beyond appearance.]

River rock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-15-13-Russia-Chelyabinsk-meteorite-fragment-6-g-Rare-Alien-Shaped-NR-/300868377874?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460d271d12

Road gravel (light rock with tar on exterior):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chelyabinsk-meteorite-VERY-RARE-/251232951607?pt=UK_Collectables_RocksFossils_Minerals_EH&hash=item3a7ea69d37

Sketchy auction showing a few photos of stones also pictured in a news
release, with a photo of a cut...something that doesn't really look
like a meteorite in the last photo:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Meteorite-from-Chelyabinsk-15-02-13-/230935960665?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c4db1c59

If I wanted to buy one of the first pieces of this meteorite (why/why
not?), I'd place a bid on something in the links above the 'be
careful' note. I can't vouch for the sellers, but if you pay via
paypal, you should be fine thanks to their pretty solid buyer
protection. That said, we may be looking at a Gao-sized event, so
~$20/g might be a bit much. But, they're small, pristine, complete
stones from a fall, so you probably won't do too badly.

As you will.

Regards,
Jason