[meteorite-list] Meteorite Picture of the Day

From: valparint at aol.com <valparint_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 10:28:27 -0700

An "unobserved fall" is, well, a fall that was not observed, in contradistinction to a fall that was observed. The terminology of the Meteoritical Bulletin Database is "Observed fall: no".

The information being conveyed is NOT that the meteorite fell but that the fall was not observed.

In general, the questions about falling and finding are:

1) was the fall observed?
2) if so, when was it observed?
3) if not, is there any guesstimate of when it fell?
4) regardless of weather it was observed or not, when was it actually found?

Paul Swartz
MPOD webmaster