[meteorite-list] Falls and finds

From: Michael Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 15:44:20 -0800

Hi Mike and Michael,
        The only time I could see this being used reasonably is under
Circumstances where there is a fall that is not seen with the eye
But is noted within 24hrs.
        We have seen this on more than one occasion - such as a
Family goes to bed and may or may not hear a crash but in the
Morning a meteorite is found to have smashed the car in the
Garage, coming through the roof (Warden) or the like.
        I could see that referred to as "an unobserved fall" - but
I am confident it is recorded as a "fall." I am sure there are many,
Many others where a meteorite is found within 24 hrs of the
Fall so the date of the fall is known, though the fall was technically
"unobserved" - but I see no reason to become so specific other than
In notations of the details - and most certainly not as a separate
"classification," as what has already been noted: all "finds" were
"unobserved falls" if you use the term loosely.
        Michael