[meteorite-list] Sterley Pallasite plus Black Beauty (NWA 7034)

From: Ruben Garcia <rubengarcia85382_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 20:28:04 -0700

Hi all,

I just returned from New Mexico where I delivered a stellar slice of
our new Sterley pallasite to the University of New Mexico. Geoff and I
are very happy that this rare pallasite will be prominently displayed
in the UNM collection. This makes 5 institutions that have added a
Sterley specimen to their collection!

Once the website is updated there will be only 10 slices left -
assuming Geoff and I choose to keep a slice. So, if you're wanting to
add Sterley to your collection don't wait too long or you could miss
out. Once it's gone, it's gone and it will be as impossible to get as
any other rare (and low TKW) pallasite.
http://www.aerolite.org/sterley-pallasite-meteorite.htm

While visiting with Carl Agee (Director and Curator, Institute of
Meteoritics Professor, Earth and Planetary Sciences) at UNM, I was
lucky enough to get to examine "Black Beauty" NWA 7034 in person. To
be honest, I think I would have assumed this meteorite was
carbonaceous, if not told different. It's heavy, a magnet sticks to it
(so I'm told) and it even has roundish chondrule looking inclusions.

It was very interesting.

Here's a close up photo that I took. Believe me I'll be looking at all
the NWA's in Tucson in hopes of finding another.
http://www.mrmeteorite.com/nwa7034.htm

--
Rock On!
Ruben Garcia