[meteorite-list] What I just learned about 'Finds'

From: Kevin Kichinka <marsrox_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 22:14:10 -0600

Team Meteorite:

I contributed to the list a couplf of days ago what I thought was a
fun, satire piece on Dr. Jeff Grossman's humbly proffered and
revolutionary system to characterize 'finds'. I followed this issue in
the archives, and must admit I just didn't agree with this
complication I felt would end up becoming another marketing tool to
raise prices. But what I perceived wasn't the reality.

At the end of the 'hilarity' I concluded that "smarter folks than me
will decide this issue. I'm glad Jeff is trying something new. "

And it didn't take long for those 'smarter folks' to inform me of what
the real issue is. And it's not about anything 'funny'.

Some folks among us are trying to pass off fresh meteorites as
something they are not for major monetary gain.

We all know that there are constant reports of meteors- observed by
radar or witnesses- that are not recovered.

"Wait, here's one!"

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It is financially and legally difficult for entrusted parties to
counter such a claim of a 'freshly recovered fall', even if it
completely chemically matches a known meteorite.

If this was Jeff's intention, to try to create some framework to
'signal' the legitimacy of a claimed, recovered fall, I don't know,
and I don't want to 'assume' this. I've already done the 'ass thing'
once.

But knowing now about this subterfuge, I for one, will open my ears
and eyes (and shut my mouth and lay down my quill) to consider
anything Jeff suggests that will help all of us avoid purchasing such
illicit material.

And as I wrote, and sincerely meant, "I'm glad Jeff is trying something new."

Let's hope he succeeds.

Kevin Kichinka
Rio del Oro, Costa Rica
'The Global Meteorite Price Report - 2013'
www.theartofcollectingmeteorites.com
(also available as an ebook on Amazon/Barnes and Noble)