[meteorite-list] Deteriorating Situation in Mali

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 12:57:42 -0500

Hi Everyone,

Agreed, "expel" them is not quite the right word. If the dangerous
militants are driven out, they will take shelter in neighboring
countries and cause trouble there. They could de-stabilize the entire
region. In reality, they must be made to put down their arms and use
peaceful means to advance their agendas, or they must be destroyed.
They leave the world no choice but to fight them.

It would be a different story if the people wanted these militants to
rule and to live under the harshest version of Sharia law, but many of
the people do not want that. The militants have moved in and forced
their violent rule on the local people. The remotest and most lawless
areas of the Sahara have always had some problem with militants
lurking around, but the situation has changed now. The fall of
Gaddafi regime has created a chaotic situation where heavy weapons
have flooded the black market and disaffected fighters have scattered
into neighboring areas to cause problems. I fear for our friends in
Morocco, Mali, Mauritania, and other nearby countries that have
labored long and hard to achieve peace and stability.

>From a scientific standpoint, this situation has the potential to
further disrupt the flow of meteorites from the Sahara. The
fundamentalists want to live in the dark ages without modern science
and they want to force that way of life on anyone unfortunate enough
to be under their rule. I shudder to think of what would happen if
that cancer were to spread across the Sahara!

May peace and reason prevail.

Best regards,

MikeG

--