[meteorite-list] Nwa 7034

From: Jeff Grossman <jngrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 00:06:22 -0500

There are two reasons why we can't get rid of carbonaceous chondrite
group names. First, unlike Martian meteorites, we don't know where C
chondrites came from. We can't point to a single asteroid as the source
for any of them, let alone all of them. So the group names are still
serving their basic purpose of ordering the chaos. Second, the only
language we have to describe the rocks known as chondrites is by their
group names. They can't be described with standard rock nomenclature.
So this is not a fair comparison.

I didn't say Martian meteorite names were not useful. I said they were
archaic, historical artifacts.

Jeff