[meteorite-list] OT: USPS price increase: international = crazy increase!

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 17:57:14 +0100

But, Mike, other things became remarkably cheap.

Imagine, you'd have to do all your e-mail traffic in form of paper letters,
and if it's urgent to pay a.. a... a "telegram". full stop.
Or to print your assortment lists and to send them by mail out.
Oops sorry, to type them first by typewriter and to "hectograph" them (cool,
my English dictionary hasn't that word anymore).
Huh, we had then even extra-thin paper for airmail-letters.

...like it was common practice still far into the 1990s.

If I would do so, I easily would pay 15-20k$ a year only for buying stamps!

Or, hihihi, do you remember the first cellular phones?
These where you had still to carry a suitcase under the other arm?
And where the people and we laughed so much about the cockalorums, when they
ostentatiously screamed on the street in the handset: I'm just this moment
walking on that and that road..

Oops. Have to explain to the kiddies, why that was so funny:
At those times then, the phone was at home. If you called somebody and a
person was not answering, you knew that that person was not at home. And if
he answered, you hadn't to ask, where he is and what he's doing, because you
knew, that he's home and is speaking on the phone. Hence it was a
zero-information.
And dear children, so it is still today! It makes no sense to call or to
send an SMS to ask, where the other would be at the moment or to report
where you are.
Because if you're waiting for someone, it doesn't help you to know, whether
he's in the supermarket, on a baseball field or on the road,
Becauuuuuuuuuuse he comes, when he comes. All other information is
irrelevant.

Would be interesting to know, with how many billions the private consumption
could be risen,
if people would stop sending these empty information, where they are at the
moment and what they are doing at the moment, wouldn't it?

Alas,
Children, we survived these old times, without problems.
On contrary, it wasn't so stressing and stroboscopic like today.

Today we suffered horrible deformations.
Look at me, I get already impatient, because I'm waiting for Mike's decision
for 12 hours only, although he is at the moment 10,000 miles away from me,
and where we would have sent then letters forth and back for the same thing,
which would have taken easily 3 weeks.

Skol
Martin

PS: Iiiieeek! German collectors have not only to pay import-VAT on the
meteorites sent fom non-EU, but also on the postage! That's mean, cause in
Germany buying stamps is VAT-free.
Always those communists....

(PPS: To Adam I say, make money not war, then it works also with the
states-budget again ;-)

PPS: By the way, I'm sitting at the moment in front of my computer and I'm
typing this posting... ;-)

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----