[meteorite-list] RENAMING OF NWA 5435 L4-5 (prov.) TO NWA 3999 (prov.) IN MET. BUL.

From: Norbert & Heike Kammel <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 10:36:36 +1000

Dear Friends and Custumers,

due to a typo at the Nom.Com. quite some confusion has arisen about the
NWA 5435.

This number was assigned to Ray Pickard for ROCKS ON FIRE by Dr.
Caroline Smith on 18-09-2008 as provisional number NWA 5435, but was
deleted from the database 3 Mar 2012 by J. Grossman with no explanation
mentioned to us and no replacement number offered at that time.

This problem has now been solved with the help of Jeff Grossman in a
swift way - Fabian Kunz keeps the (later) assigned number NWA 5435 for
his Brachinite, as it is already as official listed in the database, and
we agreed to change our listings for our L4-5 Chondrite to NWA 3999.

Thanks Jeff and all others involved, mistakes can happen.

So we now added the following information for our customers to our
website, and ask owners of our 'NWA 5435' now NWA 3999 to please contact
us so that we can issue a new label for their specimen:

NWA 3999 L4-5 (prov.) New Breccicated Chondrite, S2, W2

PLEASE NOTE: THIS METEORITE WAS PREVIOUSLY ADVERTISED AND SOLD BY US AS
NWA 5435 L4-5 (prov.). THIS LATE NAME CHANGE WAS REQUIRED AS THE NOM.
COM. OF THE METEORITICAL SOCIETY DID A TYPING MISTAKE IN THEIR DATABASE
WHEN THEY ISSUED A NEW NAME FOR A BRACHINITE BY USING OUR ASSIGNED NWA
5435 INSTEAD OF NWA6435.

OUR NUMBER WAS THEN DELETED WITHOUT OUR KNOWLEDGE, AND AFTER A FAIR BIT
OF CORRESPONDENCE AND GOOD WILL ON BOTH SIDES WE GOT NOW THIS NEW NUMBER
NWA 3999 ISSUED.

WE APOLOGISE FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE CAUSED.

I hope that I have not caused more confusion and that the meteorite
finally gets official statement.

Best regards from Down-Under,

Norbert Kammel
IMCA # 3420