[meteorite-list] Pebbly Rocks Testify to Old Streambed on Mars (MSL)

From: Steve Dunklee <steve.dunklee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 23:22:22 -0700 (PDT)

I believe I did not describe properly what I was trying to say. The video link I sent clearly showed co2 gas being poured from a beaker. During the cold mars night a thin layer of co2 frost can form on a hillside. when daylight returns and thaws the frost, the recently sublimated co2 being colder than the surrounding atmosphere is going to flow down hill. Millions of years of colder denser gas flowing down hill is going to cause erosion that simulates the flow of water.
    Mars has an 100 thousand year polar freeze thaw cycle. When billions of tons of co2 sublimate from the poles its going to flow out from the poles and cause erosion as it does so. Millions of years of this repeated cycle of the colder gas flowing down hill is going to carve what looks like river beds, canyons and lakes. all without any water needed.
Cheers
Steve