[meteorite-list] Pebbly Rocks Testify to Old Streambed on Mars (MSL)

From: Pict <pict_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2013 18:59:39 +0200

Aeolian desert sands can exhibit remarkable sphericity, rounding and
sorting not unlike extremely mature water worn clastic sediments, but I
don't think the phenomena extends to grain sizes beyond a few millimetres.
It does seem conceivable that very high wind speeds with a denser
atmosphere might get tumbling agitation going with larger rocks, but
poorly sorted conglomerates suggests water not wind from an earthly
perspective.
John

On 01/06/2013 23:55, "Graham Ensor" <graham.ensor at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> the oxygen, the candle goes out. So, even in this case it is not the
>>force
>> of the CO2 that is putting the flame out, but the lack of oxygen.
>>
>> CO2 gas is 1.5 as dense as air, but 1/500 the density of water. I doubt
>> that you could mimic the know effects of moving water in a stream bed
>>with
>> a much less dense gas. If nothing else, the gas would disperse in the
>> atmosphere rapidly unlike the much denser water.
>>
>> Sublimation is a very slow process, look at comet nuclei. There is a
>>limit
>> to how fast something can sublimate. As the ice warms up and turns to
>>gas,
>> the energy needed to do this actually cools the surface (the same thing
>>as
>> evaporative cooling which cools you as sweat evaporates off of your
>>skin).
>> I wrote several papers years ago on ice sublimation.
>>
>> The scientists used the sizes and size distribution of the rounded
>>grains
>> to compare with what we see in stream beds on Earth and can actually
>>come
>> up with depth, duration, and speed of the water. I do not see how you
>> could replicate that with a gentle flow of gas no matter how long you
>>had.
>>
>> Your idea is interesting, but decades of research have shown that
>>geologic
>> processes on Mars (and other objects) are not that different than what
>>we
>> see on Earth. If we see on Mars what looks like a stream bed on Earth,
>>it
>> is likely that the process that formed the stream bed on Earth (water)
>> also did this on Mars. So, what conditions would have been necessary for
>> the stream bed to have formed on Mars? A little more atmosphere and a
>> little warmer!
>>
>> I hope that this helps.
>>
>> Larry
>>

>>> I believe I did not describe properly what I was trying to say. The
>>>video
>>> link I sent clearly showed co2 gas being poured from a beaker. During
>>>the
>>> cold mars night a thin layer of co2 frost can form on a hillside. when
>>> daylight returns and thaws the frost, the recently sublimated co2 being
>>> colder than the surrounding atmosphere is going to flow down hill.
>>> Millions of years of colder denser gas flowing down hill is going to
>>>cause
>>> erosion that simulates the flow of water.
>>> Mars has an 100 thousand year polar freeze thaw cycle. When
>>>billions
>>> of tons of co2 sublimate from the poles its going to flow out from the
>>> poles and cause erosion as it does so. Millions of years of this
>>> repeated cycle of the colder gas flowing down hill is going to carve
>>> what looks like river beds, canyons and lakes. all without any water
>>> Cheers