[meteorite-list] World Record Slice Produced By Marlin Cilz!

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 03:36:14 -0700

Woah, rude and condescending. I don't think I've ever told anyone
that a public list post 'wasn't their business.'

Anyway, I'd like to point out the following:

1) Since you're claiming a record based on the difference between the
two (a slice versus a slab), a formal definition must be made. E.g. a
slice becomes a slab when the thickness becomes __% of the specimen's
cross-sectional area. Or something like that. If you don't even know
what criteria define a "slice," you can't reasonably claim that
someone made the largest one.

Which is clear when you consider the obvious: Marlin may hold a
'larger record,' having cut a larger/thicker slice in the past. Or a
NASA technician might hold the record, from a slice/slab cut in the
70's, or later. Which brings me to my next point.

2) Since we're talking about the largest slice ever *cut,* later
subdivision shouldn't matter. Cutting a slice is a technical
operation, the difficulty of which is not altered by later subdivision
of the specimen. If we're talking about the largest slice *in
existence,* that's a different record.

3) The definition of the record also relies upon the definition of
"largest." You've made it clear that NWA 5000 is less dense than the
Apollo sample in question, so your self-serving definition of
"largest" relies upon the surface area of a slice, not its weight.
Meteorites' value is most often determined by their weight, so this
seems a little odd to me.

I'm glad you were able to find and state (later) that the slice cut
from NWA 5000 is currently, definitively thicker than the one cut from
Apollo sample 61016. New information is always nice.

That said, the dimensions you quote are the current ones, so one would
need to look into the largest slice/slab ever *cut* at NASA, if that's
what the record is for. Either way, Marlin would hold the record for
cutting the 3kg slice (not the 1.1 kg slice) if he does hold the
record. You might as well be fair about it.

4) Shawn makes a fair point that is somewhat tangential; cutting a
large pallasite, iron, or chondrite is probably more difficult,
rendering this an odd record to make note of. While lunar slabs of a
kilo or two may not be common, meteorite slices of this size are
abundant. I wouldn't necessarily call one of them a token, but a
Campo slab of that size or weight would probably cost hundreds of
dollars, and would be a more difficult cutting and preparation job.
And then there are the Fukang, Seymchan, Mundrabilla, and Cape York
slices, often in excess of a meter in at least one dimension. Much
more difficult to do.

Seems like a publicity stunt to me, which I have no problem with, but
you should probably iron out the details first.

Jason

www.fallsandfinds.com

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 12:39 AM, Adam Hupe <raremeteorites at yahoo.com> wrote:
> We are talking about a Moon rock here and yes, there are official world records involved.
>

> 1,116.78 grams, a token? What planet are you from?
>

> Dislodged pieces of the Moon are the most coveted of all according to the Smithsonian. Most Americans consider the NASA Apollo collection of Moon rocks more valuable than the gold in Fort Knox. I think they represent one of mans greatest achievements and are a national treasure but this is just my opinion. Some may think the missions to the Moon were just trivial and the rocks brought back are just tokens.
>

> Adam

>>> http://www.lunarrock.com/ (Online Planetary Meteorite Site)
>>> NaturesVault (Facebook, Pinterest & eBay)
>>> http://www.facebook.com/NaturesVault