[meteorite-list] Billion-Pixel View of Mars Comes From Curiosity Rover

From: Jodie Reynolds <spacerocks_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 08:40:05 -0700

Hello Jeff,

Registration artifact.

When one goes about putting these together, one would generally work
in at least a 24bit if not a 32bit space with a transparent
background.

I sick a whole bunch of processing power on the problem with a neural
network looking for features that match-up. Once those millions of
points are selected (through many hours of training and then
automated iteration), my image processing software then has to warp,
bend, fold, spindle, and mutilate the individual frames, stitching
them together into an image that looks attractive on a flat 2D screen.

When that's done, it needs to then have the bit depth reduced for
end user consumption. That involves getting rid of the transparent
background and filling that space "underneath" with some color.

I have a few tricks that NASA/JPL folks may not employ. One of them
is filling the background with pure Red (255,0,0), then another with
pure Green (0,0,255), then another with pure Blue (0,255,0). Those
then go through another pre-processing step of overlaying those and
checking for each color pure color. Any area that flags for two of
the three is suspect. Small areas that don't precisely
line-up like that get flagged for manual revision. That step allows
me to pull them into an image editor and quickly pixel-hack them
together in a convincing way (although not scientifically valuable).

I suspect they skip that step entirely and just fill the background
with white and post it.

Even with the current state-of-the-art, any time you have motion you
have registration issues that can't be gracefully resolved. Mine
show those artifacts around the rover itself, especially in the
shadows.

Creating panoramas from so many frames of a sphere and then
unwrapping the sphere into 2D isn't an exact science. Plenty of room
for discovery there.

--- Jodie