[meteorite-list] AD - Stanfield: America's Newest Recovery/ Slices and Whole Stone

From: Larry Atkins <thetoprok_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 22:44:44 -0500 (EST)

Hello List,

I have some of the new Stanfield Az. (prov) meteorite available.

These meteorites are likely the result of the June, 08, 1998 event over
the Phoenix/ Casa Grande Az. area. Robert Ward is responsible for
giving the details to Galactic Analytics which resulted in the recovery
of this fall, 15 years after the fact!

I have to mention that my wife Lisa wittnessed this event from the
Apache Junction area. It's the only fireball she's ever seen and it
made quite an impression. She said it looked bigger than a basketball,
flaming through the sky. Her and I have talked numerous times about how
cool it would be to find a piece of it. I didn't think it would ever
happen, but life had a different plan! This one means a lot to me. If
that's not enough, ironically, I was on my way to the airport to pick
up my aunt for her yearly meteorite hunting trip when I got the call on
this one, and remarkably, she ended up finding the largest stone to
date! (194.6g). This stone is likely to end up at ASU.

You rock Laura!

My 29g find had a ring around it, basically a sheet of metal running
through, dividing the stone approximately in half. My friend Larry
Sloan told me that Cascadia had an ongoing project studying this type
of characteristic so I decided to cut the stone and donate a slice to
them. While I had the saw running I figured what the heck, I should cut
a couple
more slices and offer them up!
  I'll be keeping the remainig half of the stone, since I can't seem to
find anymore. After 10 days of vigorous, life endangering pursuit,
hiking for hours on end through
human/drug smuggler country, I can only find this one stone : )

Seriously, this place freaks me out a bit.
I returned by myself today, hunting unfamiliar ground for about 6
hours, I felt a bit uneasy most of the time
despite the 9mm on my side. I don't know if I'll be doing that again.

I've roughly estimated ~1500 man/woman hours to recover 10 stones,
totaling 600 grams. This is likely a conservative estimate. Needless to
say, considering the sparcity of meteorites and real, physical danger,
It's not likely that much of this (unofficial) wittnessed fall will
ever be available.

STA 004

1.075g end cut. 50% crust. $55.00

2.900g slice 60% crust. $145.00

3.335 slice. Cascadia

4.400g slice 99% crust. Metal vein $245.00

13.20g half stone not for sale : )

STA 005 (Annonymous Finder)

30.20 gram, 99.9% black fusion crust. $1500.00

Pic's upon request. Email off list.

Paypal preferred.

Sincerely,
Larry Atkins