[meteorite-list] Meteorite Black Market (Weather Channel)

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 23:07:31 +0100

Hi yo,

I wonder, why authors of such articles never mention, that the participants
in that black market are extraordinarily simple minded people.

Sittin as a hermit retreated in a cell in the Schaeftlarn monastery trying
to get my annual tax declaration ready within less than 4 weeks,

I asked myself, why so many people are willing to take the stress of working
60-80 hours a week for meteorites, undercover and in highly criminal
circles, taking the risk of decades long imprisonment or even death penalty,
like if they would deal with heroin or would smuggle plutonium,
when there are only a few single splendid examples of that pack, whose
revenues constantly exceed the salary (and pension plan) of a middle school
teacher?

I guess, they must be either really desperate or remarkably stupid.

In former times I thought, such stories would originate from curators coming
home,
telling them to their wives/husbands to impress them what for a exciting and
dangerous job they would have, hoping their better halves would tolerate
when Indiana Jones or Lara Croft leaves his/her socks on in bed...

but now?

To me it seems, that in general the U.S. print media have lost a lot of
quality and standards, or at least whenever I'm in USA, I'm astonished how
poor the newspapers are compared to European ones.
Here in Germany, but also in Austria I've read a lot of really excellent
pieces about meteorites in the bigger newspapers,
and as far as I remember (also in TV) the monetary aspects never was pointed
out and of course that illegality-BS neither.

Best!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----