[meteorite-list] Getting mixed reviews! NEW PICTURS Re: Is this oriented?

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 21:16:59 -0500

Hi Don and List,

Somebody (can't recall who), recently spoke on this subject. Anything
with rounded edges and certain organic shapes are often deemed
"oriented". It is well known that thousands of years of sandblasting
will produce rounded shapes that may look aerodynamic in some way.

The loosey-goosey use of the word oriented is similar to the
over-usage of "fusion crust". Many dealers can't tell the difference
between desert varnish and fusion crust. Half of the weathered-up
lumps on eBay are either "oriented" or have "crust", and usually such
specimens exhibit neither.

To me, I define oriented as this - if I have to ask myself, "Is this
oriented?", then it is not. True oriented stones are unmistakeable
and they literally scream "LOOK AT ME! I AM ORIENTED OUT THE WAZOO!"

Roll-over lip, flowlines, and a bubbly backside is what I look for.

Best regards,

MikeG

--
Web - http://www.galactic-stone.com