[meteorite-list] Type 7 chondrites

From: Alan Rubin <aerubin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 23:01:13 -0800

The designations of petrologic type is based on texture (pristine or
recrystallized) and degree of mineralogical equilibration. Those that
appear most recrystallized have rather uniform mineral compositions
indicative of a high degree of annealing or thermal metamorphism. Although
other properties also vary with petrologic type (e.g., the concentration of
some volatile elements), those other properties are not the main
classificatory criteria. The petrologic types are the phenomenon that
requires us to think of a heat source. In the past, some maintained that
chondrites accreted hot from the nebula and were "autometamorphosed." Few
believe that these days. As I said before, most researchers attribute the
apparent annealing to the decay of 26-Al, which was undoubtedly present. My
papers over the past 20 years have provided evidence that impact-heating was
a major heat source for chondi\ritic meteorites. Both mechanisms may have
been active. As far as achondrites are concerned, their designation is
based on having a chondrule-free, usually igneous, texture. They appear to
have formed from a melt. The particular isotopic compositions of different
achondrite groups (e.g., HEDs, aubrites, angrites) are not important for
distinguishing chondrites from achondrites. But we are again faced with the
question of what heat source or sources caused achondrites to melt. Most
researchers would maintain that it was mainly 26-Al.

Alan Rubin
Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics
University of California
3845 Slichter Hall
603 Charles Young Dr. E
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1567