[meteorite-list] Physics Questions (Having to Do, Theoretically, with Bolide Trajectories)

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 16:28:54 -0700

How objects move when they are in some sort of fluid medium (such as an
atmosphere) depends on the forces acting on them. A falling body in the
atmosphere has two forces acting upon it, one directed downwards (the
force created by gravity, and equal to the mass of the object times the
local acceleration of gravity), and one directed upwards (the force
created by air drag). How the body behaves depends on the drag force,
which is proportional to the product of the coefficient of drag, the
square of the body's aerodynamic cross section, the density of the air,
and the square of the velocity. The cross section and the coefficient of
drag are related to the size and shape of the body. Mass is not part of
determining the force of drag, and therefore density isn't, either.
However, if there are unbalanced forces (because the body hasn't reached
its terminal velocity) there will be an acceleration that is dependent
on mass (A = F / m , per Newton's Second Law).

The situation with a meteor is different, since we can essentially
ignore the force of gravity. The meteor has only a single significant
force acting on it, drag. Its behavior can theoretically be understood
by considering its mass and the force of drag (since this involves mass,
size, and shape, density is a factor). In practice, we seldom have an
accurate value for the cross section or drag coefficient, so there's
necessarily some guessing involved.

When a meteor produces meteorites, the surviving fragments rapidly lose
their forward momentum. Meteorites always fall vertically (with respect
to the local wind). The spatial spread of meteorites by mass occurs
while the body fragments are still in hypersonic or supersonic flight,
before they've lost their forward momentum and entered the long,
vertical dark flight. More massive fragments continue farther because
the mass increases as the square of the cross section, but the
deceleration is inversely proportional to the mass. What that means is
that the effect of mass (in A = F / m) dominates the effect of the cross
section in the formula for F. A much more massive body may only have a
slightly larger aerodynamic cross section.

Once the bodies are simply falling, they end up at individual terminal
velocities depending on their sizes, shapes, and masses. For several
minutes they are acted upon by the wind, which can significantly distort
the shape of the strewn field with respect to the original path of the
meteor, since the smaller, less massive bodies are moved more than the
larger, more massive ones. Indeed, with a stiff tailwind, a strewn field
can be completely reversed, with the heavy components farther back along
the meteor path than the light ones- not because they started that way,
but because they were blown that way.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory