[meteorite-list] Physics Questions (Having to Do, Theoretically, with Bolide Trajectories)

From: Peter Richards <pedrichards_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 17:41:13 -0600

Re: "Peter, when an object is dropped from rest on Earth its mass has
nothing to do with its acceleration. Drop two objects of differing
mass (but similar aerodynamic properties) and they'll both hit the
ground at the same time; this is physics 101. I didn't read past that
part of your post because I figured the rest of whatever you were
trying to reason out would be flawed since your initial understandings
were in error.

Michael in so. Cal. "

    Maybe that's a common misconception, Michael; I've turned the idea
over in my mind, at least (and researched it, admittedly:
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy05/phy05195.htm,
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/mmedia/newtlaws/efar.cfm).
    What I think is crucial is that the objects are no longer being
affected by only "gravitational" forces, like those objects on the
moon, they are being pulled toward a "center of gravity," still, and
one that exerts a stronger force than the moon, yet it is no longer a
direct ratio between the force exerted by gravity and "inertia", which
caused the objects on the moon to accelerate at equal rates, both
being a function of mass, because the air resistance is also being
overcome. That would suggest that the stronger force overcoming the
inertia of the more massive object, due to its nature as being more
massive, will more easily overcome the added resistance of air
particles 'wanting' to remain in their place, or 'not wanting' to
deform.
Seemingly, since a feather, or a piece of paper can deform, even less
radical than believing, that here on earth, a "lead ping-pong ball"
will fall at an equal rate as a normal ping-pong ball, is believing,
again, on earth, a piece of paper, in the same situation would keep
pace with a book (or a metal sheet), which would still be less
radical, due to the equal sizing in the previous example, than
believing, on earth, a feather would keep pace with an elephant.
   I believe you that it was taught in physics 101, because,
previously, I was trying to develop a theory, while integrating what
you said, Michael, for a while, and had to take a step back from
"accepted knowledge" due to legitimate concerns being raised about
that specific idea. I realized I had never "wasted the energy" on
giving that specific idea a lot of consideration. Hence, if what I was
arguing is accurate, there is a myth "going around" that shows many of
us are more indebted to presumptions about what is true, than we're
aware.
-Peter Richards