[meteorite-list] finally: L3.00

From: Jeff Grossman <jngrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 22:08:54 -0700

There has been discussion in the literature about how Semarkona is ever so slightly more heated than things like CR chondrites, and so you will find mention of elevating its petrologic type by a few hundredths. But this is very qualitative. It is still a type 3.00 using the scheme of Grossman and Brearley (2005), which only defined 0.05 increments on the metamorphic scale. NWA 7731 was classified using these same criteria for ordinary chondrites that were used to assign Semarkona to type 3.00. There are no data at all to suggest that the new one is less equilibrated than Semarkona. It is possible that detailed study may reveal it is slightly more primitive, or the opposite. It is simply not known. But right now, it is completely unjustified to say that NWA 7731 is less metamorphosed than Semarkona. If there is enough research material available, and if it isn't too weathered, we may eventually know.

Jeff

Sent from my iPad