[meteorite-list] If this can happen so can an asteroid hitting the Earth

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 18:38:04 -0600

There aren't many 1/2 mile wide asteroids that we don't know about.
Sure, there are little things like the Russian meteoroid or Carancas,
but in the scheme of natural disasters, they pose little threat. There
are hundreds of wildfires every year that cause more damage than
Chelyabinsk.

The density of satellites in Earth orbit is orders of magnitude higher
than the density of meteoroids large enough to hit the ground with
cosmic velocity, or to descend deep enough into the atmosphere to
create. And that's just the intact satellites (a better example would be
the 2009 collision between an Iridium satellite and a Russian satellite-
a collision that could have been avoided given slightly more accurate,
timely orbital data. Satellites come within a few thousand meters of one
another every day, and in most cases one or both can be nudged to
increase the safety margin). The Chinese were incredibly irresponsible
in conducting their 2007 test, which created thousands of pieces of
untrackable debris, which is what destroyed the Russian satellite this year.

The likelihood of two asteroids larger than a few tens of meters
striking each other close to the Earth is so small as to not be worth
considering. And if such a collision did occur, the bodies could not be
disrupted into significantly different orbits without the expenditure of
so much energy that both would be fragmented into pieces too small to
cause damage on the Earth.

When we learn of asteroids passing near the Earth, it isn't simply NASA
that tells us how close they will get, but numerous scientists and even
amateur astronomers. And these estimates are always very accurate. The
uncertainties are extremely small. If we calculate that they will miss,
they will, in fact miss.

Bottom line, this isn't something worth worrying about.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com