[meteorite-list] If this can happen so can an asteroid hitting the Earth

From: Count Deiro <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 21:28:46 -0400 (EDT)

Whoa Don,

You said,

"There are literally hundreds of thousands of these asteroids that are about 1/2 mile wide and smaller that can take out a large city at any time."

As of this posting, there aren't ANY objects in the observable solar system near that size, or larger, that we haven't been observing for a long time and predicted that their chances of impacting the earth is next to nil. In fact, as I recall being posted on the sites blogging the many programs watching out for us, that there are only a dozen, or so, objects that are of a size that could be considered capable of massive destruction. Most are located in the belt of debris between Jupiter and Mars. We have named the bulk of them and have visited several.

Chelyabinsk and Caranacas weren't big enough to trigger a warning and neither was visible approaching because of sun angle. An argument could be made that it would have better if the dark flight remnants of Chelyabinsk had dropped in the city proper. Less would have been injured do to overpressure. From what we can see the dark flight fall of the remaining bits and pieces didn't damage anything anyway.

Caranacas dropped in a corral in the middle of a village amongst animals and did little in personal, or property, damage. Both the Russian and Peruvian falls were meteoroids of substantual tonnage and released hundreds of multiples of the energy of our favorite comparison object...the nuke at Hiroshima..but did nothing remarkable.

Sikhote Alin and the object that caused the airburst at Tunguska would with todays in place technology been seen decades before entering the atmosphere.

Yes, it will happen, I agree....but not as a terrifying, out of the blue, crap your drawers event that your post implies.

Your scaring me and the kids with this "the sky is falling" stuff :0)

Regards,

Count Deiro
IMCA 3536