[meteorite-list] NWA5400

From: Carl Agee <agee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 12:35:32 -0600

Hi Jodie,

My bias is from a planetary differentiation perspective. The only
known meteorites to sample solar system bodies with long-lived (>1 BY)
igneous activity are lunars and martians. The HEDs might be considered
borderline "planetaries", since some cumulate eucrites have slightly
younger ages than 4.5 BY, but that may be from metamorphism rather
than primary igneous activity. So, given my bias, I see all the
"ancient" achondrites as coming from asteroids and the only
"planetaries" (yet known) are lunar and martian. You see, my bias is
such that I consider the Moon to be in the same category as
terrestrial planets, and that it just happens to orbit the Earth. This
is probably not how astronomers see the the solar system, but just
fine for an igneous petrologist!

Best,

Carl

--
Carl B. Agee
Director and Curator, Institute of Meteoritics
Email: agee at unm.edu
http://meteorite.unm.edu/people/carl_agee/