[meteorite-list] Astrobiologists Find Stuff

From: Mark Ford <mark.ford_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 08:56:12 +0000

>>>Look deep underground (tough to do from Earth)> - That's fine if your looking for Earth style microbes, but until we even formally define life (and not just some grey area about self reproducing molecules) would we know 'it' if we saw it?

Seems to me if you chart the historical progress of the hunt for life on Mars it's getting a bit thin and desperate, in 100 years we have gone from theories of there being colonies of Martians with canals or forests to a small chance there may still be a few microbes hanging on deep underground near the equator, Nothing wrong with looking and we should, but at some point in the near future we should probably give up and start face to reality, and think about sending some resources elsewhere - where frankly the chances are a looking little bit higher, e.g Europa.

Mark