[meteorite-list] A Bunch of Irregular Stones I Found (+How I Think They May Have Originated)

From: Peter Richards <pedrichards_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 18:48:10 -0500

I just want to take the opportunity yo say, based on this experience,
and others, for a so-called "scientific" community, and as someone who
has studied language, specifically, English, throwing caution to the
wind, and, clearly, guessing, is clearly 'de rigeur'. I don't
understand why it is respected. I have shared something I've found. I
don't mind discouragement, fwiw. I am open to opinions, but, in truth,
it is almost an atrocity the way the objects depicted in some, to my
own discredit, less-than-stellar photographs can be absolutely
dismissed off-handedly, and so quickly! Why is it that people think
they can gain, or maintain prestige, in a scientific field by failing
to qualify their opinions, as such. It seems to me, for example, Mr.
Utas whose recently discussed "self-pairing" of stones with "black
beauty" was a step too far in the eyes of some, is in no way out of
line, at worst, with the general type of comportment seen from many
enthusiasts and scientists alike who make a living, or perhaps even
only share interest, in this field. By the same token that Ms. Black
has suggested I read Korotev on meteorwrongs, I would suggest some of
you read material, perhaps even from Freud, discussing "the ego" in
order to understand why you wouldn't, at least, qualify, your
assertions, to some extent, by saying, "I am nearly certain," or
"rather sure," because you must know you are fallible, and that
equating having allies who are likely to, or happen to, support your
opinions with certainty, is not a scientifically sound process. It is
one of those things that is, almost too obvious to state. Look at the
experience of recent Nobel Prize winner Dan Schechtman. Doesn't this
culture run the same sort of risks as the clan there did? Now, I had
as of some time ago, studied every meteorwrong photo on Randy
Korotev's site, and incidentally, I called some into question, in my
mind, although I do respect that he knows much, and, incidentally, I
have had some insight into which of those were the "curveballs" he
throws in there, before reading that they were so. With regard to
these particular stones, I know I have, obviously, had a better look
at them than anyone of you. So, really, what is with the vociferous
outcry here? Must others be advised to ignore my emails, if you are
planning to, yourselves, or shouldn't a culture persists where
different persons, with necessarily different skills, are encouraged
to develop their own opinions?

Peter Richards