[meteorite-list] A Bunch of Irregular Stones I Found (+How I Think They May Have Originated)

From: wahlperry at aol.com <wahlperry_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 13:52:47 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Adam and List,

While I agree there can be some confusion on identifying meteorites and
meteor wrongs I would like to make a comment on your Easter Egg Hunt
post.

>I call this this Easter Egg hunt syndrome. A lot of people believe
meteorites
>are lying around everywhere just ready to be picked up like Easter
Eggs on a
>child's hunt.

Some of you will find this hard to believe. I call this the EEYORE
syndrome. As you probably know Eeyore is the delightfully dismal
pessimistic Donkey on
Winnie the Pooh.

If you had been along on the Buzzard Coulee or Yelland meteorite hunts
you would understand that indeed there are cases when meteorites are
literally laying everywhere. It just takes some time and dedicated
hunting to find them. When McCartney Taylor and I got to Buzzard Coulee
and located the strewnfield we could not believe our eyes. The
meteorites were everywhere! Hell, Ray Charles could have found some! It
really was an amazing sight and felt like an Easter Egg Hunt. Believe
me, if I had an Easter basket I could have filled it.

> Then they can cash them in for huge amounts just like seen on
>TV.

I imagine the same can be said for meteorites sold on EBay or any other
public forum. I recently saw an ad on my Local CBS news advertising the
worlds largest NWA
Lunar meteorite for sale. The report said it was locked in a safe and
guarded 24 hours a day. I would assume this would convey the message
that this meteorite is very valuable. Correct me if I am wrong. I think
this may have been one of your meteorites for sale.

In regards to Peter's finds;
I know that sometimes it is difficult for someone who has found a
meteor wrong to accept the fact that the stone that they are sure is a
meteorite is a meteorwrong.
At this point it is often difficult to convince them otherwise. I
generally refer them to an expert at a respected University. I also
believe that there are many experts right here on the List and I
personally would trust their opinions 100%.

Sonny

I call this this Easter Egg hunt syndrome.? A lot of people believe
meteorites
are lying around everywhere just ready to be picked up like Easter Eggs
on a
child's hunt.? Then they can cash them in for huge amounts just like
seen on
TV.? In reality, even on a fall, it may be several hundred hours
between finds.

Adam