[meteorite-list] A Bunch of Irregular Stones I Found (+How I Think They May Have Originated)

From: Peter Richards <pedrichards_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 13:49:59 -0500

Frank, I remembered reading somewhere that fusion crusts could peel
and fold. Thank you for seconding that, especially since I don't have
the source handy. I am interested to hear that you know of outer
layers of slag folding in that way, as well. I certainly didn't know
this was very common. I was contacted by someone who described
themselves as an expert on slag of sorts last night, and hadn't yet
received an answer as to whether that was a common feature of slag.
'So does the air flow fast enough around slag to create a similar
effect as is sometimes, although rarely, seen with meteorites?' I
wonder. Or 'is it not caused by fast flowing air, as well as heat, in
the instances of this common occurrence on slag?' I, again, wonder. I
guess that's beside the point, and I'll have to take your word for it
being a common occurrence in slag.

Peter Richards