[meteorite-list] Chelyabinsk alternate scenarios

From: Matson, Robert D. <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 19:29:05 -0700

Hi Mike,

I think what Chris is saying is that if you kept the composition,
mass and velocity the same on that asteroid, but had it come in at
a steeper angle, the odds of generating large meteorites on the
ground would have been lower rather than higher. It would have
broken up at a higher altitude, so the shock wave would also
have originated at a higher altitude -- presumably causing less
damage.

I think a shallower trajectory could have been potentially more
damaging (not that there was much room to be shallower than it
was), since it would have allowed gentler deceleration and
deeper atmospheric penetration before breakup.

--Rob