[meteorite-list] Postponement … Repeal sequester's cuts on NASA spending in public outreach

From: Gary Fujihara <fujmon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 07:12:11 -1000

Indeed Carl, the sequestration is already affecting not just NASA employees but NASA grant holders. A colleague who is organizing a conference on 'Catastrophic Disruptions in the Solar System' (http://www.cd8.hawaii-conference.com) in Hawaii is seeing a fallout in attendees because of restrictions on travel by both NASA employees and grant holders.

Whats even more unpalatable for me is the sequester's cuts on NASA's spending in public outreach and STEM programs, my field. So although off-topic, because I teach K12 and undergraduates astronomy and physics through meteoritics, I would like to encourage all of you to please sign an e-petition to repeal the sequester's cuts on NASA spending in public outreach and STEM programs:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/repeal-sequesters-cuts-nasas-spending-public-outreach-and-its-stem-programs/kY7Tw85q

Because without funding for public outreach and science education today, how are we to inspire and nurture tomorrow's scientists, engineers and technicians?

gary

Gary Fujihara
Big Kahuna Meteorites Inc.
PO Box 4175, Hilo, HI 96720