[meteorite-list] Postponement Repeal sequester's cuts on NASA spending in public out reach

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 13:39:08 -0700

Hi Gary:

We are in the midst of a crisis here in Tucson. Don McCarthy has been
given a stop work order for NIRCam (James Webb Space Telescope) which has
affected the Astronomy Camp for Girl Scout staff and volunteers that was
to be held in a little over a week. While it has not been officially
cancelled (we are trying to get a waiver for it), we have been told that
we cannot pay for the participants to come to Tucson (the travel
restriction). Some have cancelled and so are out of pocket for the
cancellation fee and others are still planning to come anyway (but it is
not clear if we can even officially hold the camp). We hope to have a
go/no go in a day or so, but it is getting close with some people flying
out in 9 days. Hopefully we will hear from NASA about the waiver one way
or the other and see if we can still hold the camp and maybe even pay for
their airfares.

So, please sign the petition so that we can all get back to work and do
what we love to do: educate our youth and the public.

Larry