[meteorite-list] Postal insurance claim or stamps.com.

From: Paul Gessler <cetuspa_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 10:41:28 -0700

Mike , I had an experience like this back in 1995 (so not sure if still
relevant?)
I purchased a cut slab of Huckitta pallasite from Michael Casper.
It was 112grams for $1.75 a gram back then.
It was shipped US postal service and insured through them for $200
When it arrived the box had been crushed and the riker box inside shattered
with the slab breaking into two pieces. I remember filing a complaint and
scheduled a
meeting with the post master at my end. They contacted Mr Casper to get the
value
from him. I argued along with Casper that the collectability had been
destroyed because
it was broken in two. (those were the days before Bessy specks I think) The
post office
agreed and gave me my $200 back. BUT they wanted to keep the meteorite? I
demanded
they return it as it still had scientific value and they were supposedly
going to just throw it away.
They finally relented and gave it back to me. My experience was that nothing
was easy
or straight forward. I had to prove the damage by showing the crushed box
etc and demonstrate the
obvious careless handling resulted in damage. Then I had to talk them out of
the object that
had been written off as destroyed. Why would you keep something that was
considered destroyed?
You could also argue sentimental value with this I guess. Same reasoning.
Anyway had to jump through some hoops but in the end I got a full refund and
got to keep
the broken Huckitta.

Regards- Paul Gessler