[meteorite-list] Chelyabinsk - Hammer?

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 13:18:49 -0400

Hi List,

Rumor has it that the Russian woman struck by the stone has adopted
the Mbale boy. Details at six.

This meteorite fall should be considered a "hammer" fall, in my
opinion. I know some hate that term. But let's face it, this fall
did hammer the crap out of an entire city. Buildings knocked down,
thousands of windows blown out. You can't argue against that.

Before the purists hurl chondrites at me.... I am aware of the
important distinction terminology....which is this - only those stones
which actually struck something are hammers or hammer stones. But,
if there is ever a candidate for something to be called a "hammer
fall" - this is it. This is the biggest and most devastating hammer
since Tunguska.

Personally, I'd be careful purchasing hammer stones or artifacts from
this fall. Given the high TKW and thousands of individual stones
across a populated area, the potential for fraud is elevated. It
would be too easy for an unscrupulous seller to say that any given
stone bounced off their car or shed. Documentation is important.
Look at how many Sikhote shrapnels were being passed as Chelyabinsk on
eBay right after the fall. Some of those same scammers could easily
take a real meteorite and fudge the hammer side of the story to
increase the interest and value. I would stay away from "hammers" of
this fall, unless they are offered by someone like our Russian
list-members or someone who has been on the ground in Russia, like
Mike. Anything else is rolling the dice.

Best regards,

MikeG

--
Web - http://www.galactic-stone.com