[meteorite-list] Ureilite ablation

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 17:54:40 -0600

Diamond combusts at a fairly low temperature, less than 1000 K,
converting it to amorphous carbon forms. At typical meteoritic ablation
temperatures, the graphites convert to gaseous products like CO and CO2.
So I'd say that the nanodiamonds found in ureilites have no significant
effect on the fusion crust at all.

A single diamond entering at meteoritic speeds wouldn't form a fusion
crust, because it would combust into gaseous components leaving nothing
solid to survive. A diamond a meter or more across (I wish!) might
survive to produce meteorites, but I wouldn't expect an actual fusion
crust at all, since there would be no melting, only combustion. So I
think it would just have an amorphous carbon ash on the outside.

Meteor ablation temperatures can be above the melting point of diamond,
but that melting can only occur in the absence of oxygen and at much
higher pressures than are present around a meteor.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com