[meteorite-list] Franconia AREA (was, Re: ...terminology...)

From: Jim Wooddell <jimwooddell_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 19:12:36 -0700

 Mike and all,

I have to agree with the visual pairing was completely misleading.
That ought to PO 90% of the hunters out there. I never did have that
skill and I know some fellows are very exceptional at guessing what
the rock is.
Here is a picture of a fairly good sized Franconia area recovery. I'd
like to ask how many classifications could come out of this rock
looking at the clasts which become vary apparent in the larger rocks.
And, you can see signs, at the boundary of those clasts, where
separation is occurring. So, some of the fragment are one type of
clast and some are other types of clasts. They look different in the
rock and they look different as individual fragments. Note the color
differences and not the number of chondrules in different area.
I am in no way an expert, but if I find any kind of fragment of a
meteorite and then later find another, when I cut them and they look
different, I am going to think they are different and I might be
right!

Jim