[meteorite-list] Novato update

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 11:12:10 -0400

Just a small correction, not to blow my own horn, but to clear up a
misconception in Jason's post.

> 7) Re: Jim's comments about find numbers (and apparently bragging
> rights) -- No. Without the 'consortium,' publicly posted numbers,
> etc. we would have much less of an idea of where/how many of the
> Sutter's Mill meteorites were recovered. The majority of the
> information shared on the SETI website would not be known, the strewn
> field would be poorly known (relative to now), etc. And the fall is
> now well-documented, and the information is publicly shared. That's
> worth a heck of a lot.

This is not 100% true. I was tracking and tallying the finds before
the official page went online. I still have hundreds of emails from
the public and finders who contacted me to share info. I was in
touch with Dr. Jenniskens early on and he told me he was tracking the
finds also, so we agreed to share data. At that point, I stopped
collecting or archiving find coordinates and asked the finders who
contacted me to forward that data to Dr. Jenniskens. From that point
on, I stopped collecting coordinates and just focused on finds,
finder's name and weights, to calculate the TKW.

After that, I was still getting oodles of emails, full of photos and
questions. I weeded out the meteorwrongs and forwarded the legitimate
finds to Jenniskens. Numerous times, finders contacted me first and I
always sent them to Jenniskens.

If there was no official page by SETI/NASA/Whoever, I would have
continued the tally and would have included find coordinates. I was
glad that Jenniskens was handling the coordinates, because that
lessened my work load a bit.

I did this for science and to help people work together to share data.
 And I expect, that if I had not done it, somebody else would have
stepped forward to do it.

Best regards,

MikeG

Web - http://www.galactic-stone.com