[meteorite-list] Donation to West, TX disaster relief

From: Marc Fries <chief_scientist_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 22:34:30 -0500

Howdy all

        My apologies for the delay in sending this off; I moved across country and it took me a few days to get myself situated. But I am humbled and pleased to announce that a check just went out to the West, TX Volunteer Fire Department for a four-figure sum. Thank you all for donating! It is my supreme pleasure to work with all of y'all, and I'm sure that the West VFD will put the donation to good use in their disaster relief efforts. The following note went out with the donation:

To the West, TX Volunteer Fire Department and the people of West,

This donation comes from ?passing the hat? among meteorite ?hunters?, hobbyists and scientists. Many of us visited your town after the West, TX fireball in February of 2009, and we have fond memories of our time in your community. We recall the enthusiasm and welcoming friendliness of your town, and our hearts were broken to hear of your recent misfortunes. We hope that this donation will help your community to move forward. Good luck to you all. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Sincerely,
Those of us in the meteorite ?hunter?/hobbyist/scientist community