[meteorite-list] Guesstimate on number of meteorite, collectors.

From: Tom Randall <tommy2005_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 21:41:15 -0400

    Hi Don and list,
       I personally am a small time collector. I am NOT EVEN CLOSE to
being even comfortably well off! I just retired actually from a medium
income job after 35 years. I'm O.K. with that. I don't try to "keep up
with the Jones'" but I like to buy when I can. I find these space rocks
VERY fascinating and very special. I find them so fascinating it's hard
to describe. I have shown some of mine to pre-school kids in a college
teaching setting and got "Oooohs and Ahhhs" out of them! I've let them
hold a Canyon Diablo and they were amazed at the weight of the rock.
"This is a piece of a BIG rock that caused THIS crater! " While showing
them a photo of Meteor Crater. It's amazing how fixed these little ones
can be when seeing a meteorite and then a photo of the hole it caused!
Family and friends kids have seen and held some of my meteorites, they
are always very excited that they came from SPACE!

     As far as how people can make a living out of selling these special
rocks, well the "proof is in the pudding". There are always young people
and older people that may be interested in meteorites. Let's face it,
these come from OUTER SPACE! That alone is VERY alluring, even to US!
There will ALWAYS be a market for meteorites, how STRONG a market is a
different story.

     As far as MY own buying opinion, I only buy from folks on this
list. People I TRUST. I NEVER buy from those I have never heard or seen
from. Buyer beware is what I tell people. KNOW YOUR SELLER. Do your
homework. Ask me and I'll guide you to the legitimate dealers.

    Oh, I remember when the History Channel was actually WORTH watching.
TV is such garbage anymore.........

Regards!

Tom