[meteorite-list] Chelyabinsk - slickensides or shock planes?

From: Bob King <nightsky55_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 09:06:40 -0500

Hi everyone,
Many pieces of broken Chelyabinsk specimens display what appears like
fusion crust over slickensides, but is that what it really is? I've
talked with Blaine Reed and he thinks we're seeing blackish shock
veins (planes really) where the meteorite split along a line of
weakness. He even mentioned a piece he's seen where a large shock vein
in the matrix leads directly to the broken, dark face. Assuming
Chelyabinsk shows both slickensides and shock vein planes, how do you
tell them apart?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Bob