[meteorite-list] Mars Meteorite May Fetch $160,000 At Auction

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 11:55:03 -0700 (PDT)

It is very simple.? There were only a couple of lunar meteorites available at the time while there was several times the weight available in Martian which has always been the case.? Collectors would be happy with a single gram of Martian since one piece looked very similar to the next.? Lunar breccias on the other hand, display many features so each piece was different enough to create demand for multiple specimens per collection instead of a single token piece.? The least expensive Lunaites of all time came from Oman if you adjust the value of the dollar six years ago before it lost most of its value.?? The supply has dwindled on the Omani lunar meteorites so most have tripled in price.

NWA changed the landscape for both Lunar an Martian meteorites.? During this depression, lunar material has remained nearly the same and held most of its value while Martian offerings are still off peak.? A Martian fall for $300.00/gram is a bargain.? On the other hand, a Lunar fall could run into the tens of thousands per gram if we were ever lucky enough to witness one.

I have dealt more Martian and Lunar material than most dealers and see that they both make good investments if purchased properly.? The entire collectables market sector has been down the last six years and meteorites have retained most of their long-term value unless emotional buying was in play.

Ask any Moroccan what excites them more, a new Martian or a Lunar find? They know they can get way more any lunar meteorite than Martian so the answer will always be the same.? Lunar is king.

Adam