[meteorite-list] Was Feb 11, 2012, Qinhai province, Fall - short Argentina question

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 17:50:21 +0200

Addendum.

It's article 296 of the Indian constitution.
Also famous meteoricist Hey reported on the last meeting of the UNESCO
Working Group on Meteorites in 1967,
that according to that article meteorites are regarded in India as "bona
vacantia" (id est: ownerless objects).

Anyway,
I could find over the years only a very few countries,
where meteorites automatically are property of the state
(now not regarding any landowner-finder questions, but general national laws
- hence where the meteorite is property of the state because it is a
meteorite).

These are:

Some provincial federal states in Australia.
South Africa
Namibia

Countries explicitly mentioning meteorites in their national laws are:

Argentina
Botswana
Canada (have still to read....)
Lesotho
New Zealand
The Philippines
Poland
Slovakia
Swaziland

For clarifying, cause these were most often mentioned else, suspected to
have specific restrictions:

China (pers.comm Geological Survey of China)
Once discussed to introduce a meteorite law, but didn't install any.

Brazil, other than once wrongly reported by the former IMCA-president has no
meteorite laws, neither any export regulations.

Oman has no "meteorites" in their laws.

Switzerland has no "meteorites" in their laws.

UNESCO & Unidroit conventions have no "meteorites" in their suggestion
lists.

India has no "meteorites" in their laws.

If you know more countries with meteorite laws,
please add them.

But for that purpose, please be sure, that these laws contain the term
"meteorites".
Laws containing vague terms like "treasure find, resource, antiquity,
artifact, object of scientific interest, natural monument, movable heritage,
object of cultural relevance"...and so on are of no interest,
as such terms are subject to interpretation (in case of a court)
and not helpful.

If you want to regulate meteorites, write "meteorite" in your law.

More I couldn't find yet, regarding national laws. Problem is, I'm not
trained like Douglas Schmitt and not so well paid, that I could visit the
libraries of the world, hunting for meteorite laws. And many countries
haven't their legal codex published yet on internet or not published
English, French, Spanish...

Now to my question.

It's said, that there is now a general ban of exports for meteorites in
Argentina,
though I'm unable to find that very law.
Does anyone has it?

I have only the following laws:

26.306 (2007): which converted meteorites into a moveable heritage in the
sense of and to handle like given in

19.943 (1972): the ratification of the UNESCO 1970 convention
And
25.527 (1995): the implemention of the UNIDROIT convention

(Well and of course the collecting ban in the Chaco-province exist too.
3.562 (1990))

In none of these laws I can find, that moveable/cultural heritage is
excluded from exportation or not,
neither what to do, if you want to export it legally.

Any help?

Second question is about Algeria,
Nothing to find on web.

So I asked a IMCA-Director to contact and to ask Prof. Djelloul Belhai
(Universit? des Sciences et de la technologie Houari Boumediene) to supply
us with the wordings of the specific laws, cause in one of his publications
he once mentioned the "draconian" punishments introduced for
meteorite-plundering.
Has that meanwhile happened?

Thanks in advance,
And don't bash me,
My position is clear: No human is illegal. No Meteorite is illegal.
(and "Free Milly!", I confess, I gave up).
Best,
Martin

And disclaimer, disclaimer, disclaimer, I'm no lawyer, by no means these
informationshall be regarded as da truth or valid or as complete. Ect.ppp.
For reliable information contact your next IMCA-office.

PPS: By far Kuhlest meteorite law on Earth has definitely Swaziland - worthy
for a Harvey-Award!

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----