[meteorite-list] Xining writeup

From: Prof. Zelimir Gabelica Université de Haute Alsace ENSCMu, <zelimir.gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 09:57:03 +0200

Martin, thanks very much for the Xining classification info.

I had acquired in early Spring 2012 a 21.5 g ~30% crusted fragment
from a Chinese source, who also provided some data regarding the fall
and its recovery, that I used to build up a provisional collection
writeup until the meteorite is officially classified.

I just modified this initial writeup using the new Metbull data. Here
it is (for what it is worth) for those who like to associate their
collection meteorites with some historical and scientific data.
Enjoy or delete.
-----------------------------
XINING History and scientific significance.

On February 11, 2012, a large meteor blazed across the sky over the
mountains of rural China. This meteorite exploded in flight and the
fragments showered across the remote mountainous region of Huangzhong
County in Qinghai Province.
The fireball was witnessed by local villagers who lived near the area
and pieces of the meteorite were seen to fall aross a wide area that
includes a snow-covered mountain top area at an altitude over 8000 feet.
Shortly thereafter villagers recovered about 10 stones within the
Huangzhong county, roughly centered around Xining city of Qinghai
Province. The strewnfield (ellipse of 20-30 km in length and 4-5 km in
width oriented NNE) is in a mountainous region, at an average altitude
of over 2500 m. The fall includes the villages of Baina, Small Sigou,
Yehong, Heergai, and Baiya.
The total weight of the fall is more than 100 kg. The largest
meteorite landed on a mountain slope, weighing 17.3 kg and the second
largest stone of about 12.5 kg was found on a mountain top of
Xiaosigou village. A third stone weighing 7.5 kg landed in Baiya
village, created a small crater and shattered into many pieces. A
fourth stone weighing 5 kg also broke when it landed in a Muslim
villager's yard in Herguy village. A fifth stone weighing about 2.5 kg
landed on a concrete road creating a small crater in Yehong village,
and broke into many pieces.
Many pieces and fragments, among which the two lergest meteorites were
bought from the villagers by "meteorite lovers".
Miao Buikui and Liu Xijun (Guilin University of Technology-GUT) and
other researchers from the Beijing Planetarium, who heard the news of
the fall and visited the fall site, recovered several meteorite
samples for study and classification.
Early recovered pieces of the fall show pristine black velvety fusion
crust up to 1 mm thick and none of them showed signs of rusting. Later
recovered specimens started to oxidize in the snow.
Most stones have a similar appearance with a blocky shape and not well
rounded corners. Where orientation is present, it is poorly developed.
The broken exposed matrix is primarily white or virgin grey with tiny
flecks of metal or metal-troilite nodules with (Fe-Ni) metal and
troilite reaching 20.9 wt.%.
This meteorite first appeared to be an L chondrite, possibly L5 or L6
with noticeable shock veins, slickensides and troilite inclusions. The
final
classification argued for a L5 type (Metbull, May 23, 2013).

I'd also appreciate to be informed in case someone notices something
wrong or incomplete in this just built writeup.
Thank you!

Best wishes,

Zelimir
--