[meteorite-list] Bright Meteor Sighted in Western Greece

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 21:16:04 -0800 (PST)

http://greece.greekreporter.com/2013/11/28/meteorite-falls-in-western-greece/

Meteor Falls in Western Greece
By Maria Papathanasiou
Greek Reporter
November 28, 2013

Many residents of Western Greece experienced a unique and incredible phenomenon
at 9pm yesterday evening. Meteorologists spoke of a meteorite that was
to fall in the Ionia sea.

The phenomenon was particularly noticed from the residents of Zante in
the regions of Maheradou and Alikon. The residents said that they saw
bright streaks across the sky from West to East, followed by an intense
noise. However, there were no damages or problems reported even though
the testimonies supported that the glow illuminated the homes of areas
in Kefalonia.

Those who saw the bright object talked about a huge burning ball that
was moving with tremendous speed. Many of them supported that they also
heard a strange hollow noise. According to sources, it was a meteorite
that fell in the Ionian Sea between Zante and Kefallonia.

The Fire Service of Kefalonia reported the testimony of a resident, who
described the drop of a bright object in the sea between Kefalonia and
Zante.

Geology Professor, Dr. Efthimios Lekkas, confirmed the phenomenon. He
also pointed out that we could learn more about the meteorite after it
has fallen to the ground. " Ibelieve that it was a meteorite. Reliable
witnesses of Zante and Kefalonia told me that at 9pm they saw a bright
object fall from the sky into the sea, followed by noise. All the testimonies
that I received revealed the same thing."