[meteorite-list] Exploring the Solar System in Antarctica (NWA vs Antarctica)

From: Carl Agee <agee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 10:35:17 -0600

I think where NWA and the hot desert finds have had the greatest
benefit to science with a "capital S" are in achondrites and in
particular martian meteorites. If you look at the abstracts at
2012-2013 LPSC and MetSoc (no, I didn't actually count them) the
martian meteorite literature is now dominated by NWA finds and
Tissint. Again, ANSMET just isn't nearly as productive, and you can
have multi-year dry spells when no ANSMET martians were recovered.
Recently it has been very sparse with 1 pairing in 2012, 1 pairing in
2009, 1 find in 2006. In fact, according to MetBull, in the last ten
years there have been only 6 martians (12, not counting pairings)
recovered. Another ANSMET martian drought was 1994-2000. Lunars in NWA
are productive too, but interestingly dominated by feldspathic
breccias. For lunars though, at least for the foreseeable future,
there will never be a contest for dominance because of the 390 kg of
Moon rocks from Apollo, which will be the gold standard until we
return to the Moon. In contrast, a Mars sample return seems to always
be 10 years away with a continually out-of-reach horizon. So martian
meteorites, mostly from NWA, will be our Mars sample return until we
get a President who tells NASA to go to Mars with MSR or humans (or
until Chinese beat us to it).

Carl

*************************************
Carl B. Agee
Director and Curator, Institute of Meteoritics
Professor, Earth and Planetary Sciences
MSC03 2050
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131-1126