[meteorite-list] Chelyabinsk trajectory modeling -- how welldid we do? Part 1 of 2

From: Jim Wooddell <jim.wooddell_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 05:59:31 -0700

Hi Richard and all,

 From my perspective, I do not think 5 miles or 3 miles is close. If
there is anything bigger out there, I suspect it is within 6 miles of
this stone they recovered in the lake and I am guessing if there is,
which is completely opinion at this point, it broke apart when it his
the ground unless maybe it hit some trees which reduced it's energy
before hitting the ground.

Looking at the numbers, there is about 12 miles between a 10kg stone and
a 1000kg stone. And, with the other coordinates Rob posted, we should
be able to compare find data with these. I have yet to see any of this.

I do not know the level or error allowed in the calculations that would
say the current process is on track. To me, anything between 10kg and
1000kg was off a very long way to walk! Still, I know there is a margin
to consider.

Jim