[meteorite-list] Chelyabinsk trajectory modeling -- how welldid we do? Part 1 of 2

From: Mendy Ouzillou <ouzillou_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 07:52:16 -0700 (PDT)

Jeff,

You raise an interesting question that impacts MANY other bulletin entries. What is an "authoritative" report or who is capable of making one? Would a member or the IMCA or a reputable dealer qualify??

The big concern is double (or even triple) reporting masses that have been sold or traded but at some point the "official" TKW becomes completely irrelevant. Perhaps the scientific community is not so concerned with TKW, but the collector community certainly is. The problem however is very relevant to collectors who are not aware that the low TKW achondrite they want to buy is not so rare.?

I, of course, realize that TKW is only a small part of the story since what the collector really cares about is how much material is actually available outside in the market. However, updating the TKW or maybe creating a new category called "unofficial TKW" would go a long way to help.

Regards,

Mendy Ouzillou