[meteorite-list] An experiment in community meteorite reporting

From: Marc Fries <chief_scientist_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 21:56:04 -0500

Howdy all

        I've got a little experiment started up, and I'd like to invite y'all to participate. I've created a Wikipedia-style website on the old Galactic Analytics server, and created a single (so far) page reporting on a recent meteor event:

http://www.galacticanalytics.com/wiki/OH_Columbus_28_Sep_2013

        Why? I'm glad you asked. I've installed the actual Wikipedia software onto the GA site. It works the same as Wikipedia - anyone can create an account and either create or edit pages. That means that any of y'all can create a page for a meteor event. Or add radar data. Or eyewitness accounts. Or anything else. And if someone puts up something inappropriate, the rest of y'all can keep the page clean. Also, as meteorites are found, you can give them a reporting name (e.g. CO01 for the first meteorite from Columbus...), add a picture, and other details. Then anytime you sell or divide that meteorite, a public record is maintained. You could sell the meteorite on ebay as CO01 and link to this page, and everyone can keep track of that individual stone. This will preserve a record of individual meteorites, as well as potentially improve the value of any given stone.

        This is an experiment, so treat it as such. Play with it, have fun with it, and don't worry too much about being serious. The page I've linked above is to the Columbus event which occurred at very high speed and is almost certain to NOT generate meteorites, so it will make a good testbed. I have to apologize for one thing in advance - it turns out the Wikipedia software is not very user friendly. If y'all like this approach, we can try out some different, friendlier software package in the near future.

Enjoy!
Marc Fries